Banana Link campaigns for fair and equitable production and trade in bananas and pineapples based on environmental, social and economic sustainability.
Our vision is a world where:
- Every worker in the chain receives a living wage and is able to exercise all her/his individual and collective rights in the workplace.
- All economic stakeholders along the chain pay a decent wage and respect all relevant international labour standards.
- Small-scale and family farmers make a decent living from selling to international banana and pineapple markets.
- Consumers can buy good quality bananas and pineapples and understand the need for pricing that will guarantee decent livelihoods for producers and workers.
- The negative impacts of banana and pineapple production on the natural environment are understood and addressed.
- All players along the chain engage in constructive dialogue
- Impartiality and rigour in the collection and analysis of information and evidence.
- Openness and inclusivity towards all players in the chain who seek equitable and sustainable solutions.
- Independence from governmental and business interests.
- Highest standards of ethical conduct: integrity, transparency and accountability.
- Mutual respect and solidarity among our partners and supporters.
Our strategic objectives for 2014 – 2016
We aim to achieve tangible changes in the lives of people working in banana and pineapple chains that incorporate:
- Fair and ethical trade practices, based on a fair living wage, equitable distribution of value along the chain, and competitive market access for small producers.
- Dignity at work and respect for labour and trade union rights.
- Sustainable production systems which reduce dependence on hazardous substances and minimise adverse health and environmental impacts on natural resources, workers and communities.
- Constructive dialogue between all economic and non-economic stakeholders that accelerates a transition to fair, equitable and sustainable banana and pineapple chains worldwide.
Download a copy of our strategic plan for 2014-2016
Download a copy of our Annual Review 2016-2017
Photo: Children living next door to banana plantation, Dom. Republic